Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dear Ebby: What is your view on dating outside of your religion?

Dear Ebby,

What are your views on dating....more so MARRYING outside of your religion? People do it all the time but is it wrong? Can it be possible AND SUCCESSFUL?

Signed,

Xxxxxx


Dear Xxxxxx,

Hmmm... This is an interesting topic and I'm sure there are millions of opinions about it. But you asked for mine, so...

Where do I start? (tapping chin) Do I think it's possible and successful? Sure. But every situation is different. I dated a guy that didn't know what to believe, but he wanted to know more about what I believed and why. Long story shory, while we dated he got saved and now we're married. That's in no way to say that that's what you should do (jump out there and hope for the best). Every religion is different and has different standards, but I believe for the most part they all agree that you should marry someone who is of the same faith and believes in the same precepts and principles that you do, otherwise you are unequally yoked (and that's not only a Christian belief). I know couples from different religious backgrounds that have successful relationships other than the fact that religion, at times, can be a sore spot for them. And then there are couples that respect the other's religious practices and they have a happy home. So this is really all about what you know to be true about your faith and if that's a value that you intend to keep or if it's something that you think may not be as important as finding love. You have to consider how it will affect the upbringing of your children and all. So, the question is... What do you think?

Love,

Ebby

1 comment:

  1. Well....where should I start? My boo and I are from two very different religions. I am christian and he is Muslim. It causes problems between us when we talk about getting married and how we will raise our children. Neither of us is willing to budge. I'm sure it would be easier if I were with a christian man, but I love him dearly. We will see if this is the reason we break up. So far so good...

    ReplyDelete